Ukraine's counteroffensive has "penetrated the first line of Russian defenses" in some areas – British intelligence
The Ukrainian army probably made significant progress and broke through the first line of Russian defenses in some front areas.
The British Ministry of Defense reported that on Twitter as of June 10.
As British analysts note, during the last two days, essential advances by our soldiers took place in certain sectors in the east and south of Ukraine.
"In some areas, Ukrainian troops have probably made significant progress and broken through the first line of Russian defense. In other areas, Ukrainian troops are advancing more slowly," the report says.
British intelligence also emphasizes that the enemy's actions meanwhile are ambiguous:
- Some units are likely to conduct defensive maneuver operations;
- Others retreated in disarray amid increasing reports of Russian casualties after retreating through their minefields.
"The Russian Air Force has been unusually active over southern Ukraine, where the airspace is freer for Russia than in other parts of the country. However, it remains unclear whether the tactical airstrikes were effective," the intelligence agency said.
Latest Defence Intelligence update on the situation in Ukraine – 10 June 2023.
Find out more about Defence Intelligence's use of language: https://t.co/Sr1VlSp8Hy
— Ministry of Defence 🇬🇧 (@DefenceHQ) June 10, 2023
What is known about the counteroffensive of the Ukrainian military
It should be noted that the Ukrainian political and military command has repeatedly announced the preparation of Ukrainian soldiers for a counteroffensive to continue the liberation of the territories of Ukraine from the Russian invaders.
Initially, the counteroffensive was expected to take place in the spring. In addition, it was assumed that active fighting could continue in the summer.
On June 5, the Ministry of Defense of Russia announced that our soldiers had launched a "large-scale offensive" in several front areas.
In turn, the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council, Oleksii Danilov, emphasized that the offensive of the Armed Forces has not yet begun, but it is approaching.
During the last week, Russia has been systematically spreading fake information. In particular, we are talking about alleged "large losses of Ukraine's armed forces" and "destruction of Western equipment." Ukraine, for its part, refutes these unreliable statements.
As Nataliia Humeniuk, spokeswoman for the Defense Forces of Southern Ukraine, noted, the enemy is thus trying to "fill the airwaves" because it failed all the goals it set at the beginning of the full-scale invasion.
"As they say, allow them to choke on their lies. And as for the work of the Defense Forces, be patient," Humeniuk remarked on the air of the telethon.
Meanwhile, according to President Volodymyr Zelensky, Ukrainian soldiers are already ready for counteroffensive actions, but it is unknown when exactly they will begin.
Also, the other day, the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Valery Zaluzhnyi, released a video with Ukrainian military personnel asking them to "bless the decisive offensive."